So why did I decide to get a trailer for my tent? While we have been very happy with the rooftop tent, there are some downsides that a trailer would resolve. First downside was putting the tent on the roof of the car before each trip and taking it off after returning. I made a pulley system that I used to lift the tent in the garage and drive under it to mount the tent. Some people are able to lift the tent in place with two people, however, my wife is short and the car roof is high. Using the pulley system, I was able to take the tent on and off in about 45 minutes.
The second major factor was having to open and close the tent and remove all the gear in order to drive each day. This meant that we were not able to set up a campsite and leave it in place. There were other smaller annoyances that contributed to the decision as well; wind noise while driving, reduced gas mileage, and negotiating a six foot ladder in the middle of the night.
I had room in our garage to store this trailer. Because of the low ceiling height, a hard side trailer or RV would not fit. I am able to leave the tent on the trailer during storage and keep my bins packed for the next trip. It is very easy to hook up and go!
No comments:
Post a Comment